Pear Barley Salad
This salad is loaded with green Anjou pears, barley, chickpeas, walnuts, feta and arugula all tossed in an apple cider vinegar maple dressing. It’s great because it can totally be customized based on the ingredients available to you. Don’t have chickpeas? Try it with white beans instead. Only have spinach on hand? Swap that in for the arugula! Recipe by Brittany Mullins (@eatingbirdfood).
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 green Anjou pears, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 handful baby arugula
- 3 Tbsp red onion
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cook barley according to package instructions. Drain.
- Toast walnuts in a small skillet. Let cool.
- Add the minced onion in a small bowl with the vinegar and let marinate while you prep the salad.
- Chop 1 1/2 pears and save the remaining half for fanning and decorating the salad.
- Add cooked barley, chickpeas, pear, sun-dried tomatoes, arugula, parsley, and feta into a large bowl.
- Add remaining dressing ingredients into the bowl with the vinegar and red onion and whisk until combined.
- Pour dressing over salad mixture and toss to coat. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.