Grilled Gala Apples with Parmesan
Giving these apple wedges a few minutes of grill time adds a touch of smokiness, and a bit of heat which softens the parmesan cheese just enough. Serve these toasted wedges with a fruity red wine with low tannins such as a Gamay or Barbera. Or a crisp white wine such as Pinot Grigio.
YIELD: 16 pieces
Recipe created by: Meg Raines
- 2 Gala apples, cut into 8 wedges each
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shavings
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, or alternatively use pan spray
- Soak 16 wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes, so they do not burn on the grill.
- Preheat a grill on high heat.
- Push a wooden skewer into the long edge of each apple wedge.
- Brush the cut sides of each apple wedge lightly with oil, or spray lightly with pan spray to prevent sticking to the grill.
- Place the apple wedges on the hot grill, cut side down, until the wedges get dark grill marks, about 10 minutes. Turn the wedges over and repeat on the other cut side for another 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle shaved parmesan on the apples.
- Serve immediately.