Baked French Toast with Cherry Topping
YIELD: 6-8 servings
Recipe provided by: Northwest Cherry Growers
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices (4-1/2 x 3-1/2 x 1/2-inch) French bread
- 4 cups pitted Northwest fresh sweet cherries, halved
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Vanilla yogurt
- Combine milk, eggs, maple syrup, 2 tablespoons sugar, orange peel, and salt; mix well. Pour half of mixture into each of two 9-inch square baking dishes. Dip both sides of each slice of bread in milk mixture; arrange in the same baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Marinate cherries in orange juice and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar overnight. Carefully transfer slices to a nonstick, buttered baking sheet using a large spatula; allow excess liquid to drip into pan used for soaking. Bake in a preheated 400°F oven 15 to 18 minutes; turn slices over halfway through baking time. Top each slice with 1/2 cup cherries and a dollop of vanilla yogurt. Serve immediately.
- Per Serving: 297 Cal., 10.2 g pro., 7.3 g fat (22% Cal. from fat), 49.3 g carb., 168 mg chol., 2.8 g fiber, 292 mg sodium.