Pear Oat Bars
These delightful pear oat bars are simple to put together and great for breakfast or as an afternoon treat. Bartlett pears lend a delicate flavor and sweetness to the bars and makes them a delicious and nutritious snack choice.
Recipe Created by: Meg Raines
YIELD: 10-12 bars
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans (or any nut of choice)
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 ripe Bartlett pears
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x9 inch baking pan or line with parchment paper.
- Place oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, brown sugar and pecans in a food processor, pulse a few times to combine. Add the maple syrup and butter, and process just until the oat mixture becomes moist clumps. Measure out 1 cup of the oat mixture and set aside; press the remaining oat mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Rinse out the food processor bowl.
- Peel and core 1 pear; add to the food processor and puree until mostly smooth; small chunks are ok. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Peel, core and dice the remaining 2 pears, add to the bowl with the pear puree and stir to combine.
- Spread the pear mixture evenly over the oat mixture in the pan, sprinkle the reserved oat mixture evenly over the top of the pears and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool completely before cutting. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or freeze for up to a month.