This deep purple smoothie is loaded with superfoods and good-for-you ingredients. Apples, beets, cherries and blueberries are touted to have a high level of antioxidants in them, and the sweet Honeycrisp apple makes this smoothie so sweet you don’t even need to add a sweetener. It’s a perfect way to kick start your morning without going overboard on processed ingredients.
YIELD: 2 large smoothies
Recipe created by: Meg Raines
- 1 large Honeycrisp apple, cored and chopped
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 medium beet, cooked
- 1/2 banana
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1-2 dates, pitted (optional, depending on your desired level of sweetness)
- 1 cup tart cherry juice (or pomegranate juice)
- 1/4 hemp seeds
- 1 cup of ice
- Place all the ingredients, along with pitted dates if you are using, into a blender and blend until smooth. Add water as needed if the smoothie is too thick.
- Serve immediately.
- Feel free to get creative and substitute ingredients or add some of your favorite superfoods.