Winter Jonagold Salad
Not everyone enjoys a light salad during the cold fall and winter months, so we created a heartier salad with sturdy winter greens and warm roasted sweet potatoes. A pomegranate vinaigrette is the perfect complement to the fall flavors of crisp Jonagold apples, sweet potatoes, tart cherries and roasted pumpkin seeds. Enjoy this salad alongside our velvety butternut squash soup, or mix in some cooked grains to turn this salad into a hearty main dish.
YIELD: 4 servings
Recipe created by: Meg Raines
- 1 cup of pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (2 small or 1 large sweet potato), peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil, such as avocado or grapeseed oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 heaping cups of hearty mixed greens, such as baby kale and spinach
- 1 Jonagold apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries (or dried cranberries)
- 1/4 cup diced or shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- To make the dressing: Mix all of the ingredients together and shake or whisk well until combined. Set aside.
- To roast the sweet potatoes: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the diced sweet potatoes with the olive oil, maple syrup and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Toss to mix well.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and roast for 25-30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and caramelized, stirring once or twice during cooking. Let cool slightly.
- To assemble the salad: Place the greens in a large bowl, add the cooled sweet potatoes, apple slices, pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried cherries, and cheddar cheese if using. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of the dressing and toss to combine. Add more dressing according to your taste and serve immediately.