Cherry-Stuffed Grilled Chicken
Stuffing doesn’t always start with bread or rice; fresh Dark Sweet cherries are the base to savory stuffed grilled chicken breasts. It’s the stuffing that makes this grilled chicken outstanding. Sage and thyme blend together with onion and fresh sweet cherries to give this dish a boost in flavor; and the cherries add a splash of color while keeping the chicken moist. Versatility is key in cooking methods for these stuffed chicken breasts; grilled, broiled or baked, the finished dish is sure to excite the taste buds and add interest to a summer meal. For a casual get-together, throw some fresh corn to the grill; add a loaf of crusty bread, a green salad, and you’re set for an evening of fun. Or dim the lights and add some candles and soft music for the start of a romantic evening.
YIELD: 4 servings
Recipe created by: Northwest Cherries
- 1-1/2 cups pitted and coarsely chopped Northwest fresh sweet cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and chopped fresh thyme
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4 to 6 oz. each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Combine cherries, onion, sage, salt and thyme; mix well.
- Cut a pocket on the thicker side of the chicken breast; sprinkle lightly with salt if desired. Stuff 1/4 of cherry mixture into the pocket; close opening with metal skewers or wooden picks.
- Combine oil, vinegar, garlic salt and pepper; mix well. Marinate stuffed chicken breasts 1/2 hour in refrigerator.
- Broil or grill chicken breasts, brushing with marinade, until fully cooked and juices run clear when sliced.
- Brown stuffed chicken in oven-safe skillet on both sides. Bake at 375° F 12 to 15 minutes or until juices run clear.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
- 305 Calories, 32.4 g protein, 11.5 g carbohydrate, 14.3 g fat (42% Cal. from fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 1.1 g fiber, 1130 mg sodium.