Grilled Cinnamon Cherries
A simple, yet wonderful sauce from fresh cherries. Spooned over a favorite dessert, this sauce takes your dessert over the top with compliments that are sure to promote your chef status! Here’s a bonus tip for a refreshing change; try the addition of fresh herbs. With a hint of fresh rosemary, basil or thyme, this becomes a savory sauce that complements any meat dish, but is especially nice on fish, chicken and pork.
YIELD: 4 servings
Recipe created by: Northwest Cherries
- 3 cups fresh Dark Sweet or Rainier cherries, pitted
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Place 3/4 cup cherries on each of four 12-inch squares of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle each mound of cherries with 1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon sugar.
- Wrap cherries with a double fold. Fold both ends to make tightly sealed packets. Place on barbecue grill over medium heat and grill packets 8 to 10 minutes, or until cherries are thoroughly heated, but still firm.
- Serve over ice cream or dessert of choice.
- Wrap cherries per directions above. Place packets on cookie sheet or shallow pan and bake at 400 degrees F 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove cherries from aluminum packets and serve with ice cream, vanilla yogurt, sour cream or whipped cream. Serve hot or cold over rich biscuits or pound cake for cherry shortcake
Tips: The following ingredients may be added to the recipe if desired.
- 2 tablespoons toasted blanched almonds
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
- 118 Calories, 1 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fat (8% Cal. From fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g dietary fiber, 3 mg sodium.